Thursday, October 18, 2007

How to get the EMF UML editor bits into Eclipse

This is not really a blog entry per se, its more a little how-to on getting your tools set up for the next blog entry.

All of the tools required here are open source.

Well, first you have to get Eclipse: I've downloaded the 'classic' distribution of Eclipse 3.3.1 from www.eclipse.org.

Then use the Eclipse update mechanism to get the EMF bits.

Start Eclipse and select the menu 'Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install' (click on the image for a better picture)


Select 'Search for new features to install', then select the 'Europa Discovery Site':


In the following wizard page (called 'Search Results') select 'Graphical Modeling Framework' in the 'Models and Model Development' section. Then hit the 'Select Required' button.


I'm selecting GMF because that thechnology provides the UML-style class diagram editor for EMF. Since GMF depends on EMF, you will get all the needed EMF bits too by hitting the 'Select Required' button.

Hit next 'Next' a couple of times and then hit Finish.

Eclipse will now download and install EMF.

3 comments:

betto said...

Your blog looks really interesting!

Keep up the good work!

In the meantime I'm enjoying the EMF series :-)

GlaucoCarneiro said...

I enjoy very much this blog. And I have read all the tutorials.

I would appreciate if you explain me what's going on with the following exception. I have already reviewed everything, but I can not find out the solution.

Exception in thread "main" org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.PackageNotFoundException: Package with uri 'http://adventure' not found. (file:/C:/.../EMF_Adventure1/bin/My.adventure.xml, 2, 120)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.handleDemandLoadException(ResourceSetImpl.java:316)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:275)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getResource(ResourceSetImpl.java:398)
at game.Status.intializeGame(Status.java:39)
at game.Main.main(Main.java:9)
Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.PackageNotFoundException: Package with uri 'http://adventure' not found. (file:/C:/.../EMF_Adventure1/bin/My.adventure.xml, 2, 120)

David Bosschaert said...

GlaucoCarneiro, I've copied your comment to here because I think that's a more appropriate place for it.